cookies-varning

torsdag 7 februari 2013

Caesar Miniatures SdKfz 10/4 build Part 2

Work on the halftrack continues! In between trying to figure out which part went where I searched for some inspirational pictures on the net, discovering that the notion of putting the gun on top of the half track actually occured much earlier than I thought. For example I discovered this picture of a SdKfz 10/4 from North Africa in 1941:

(Image courtesy of Wikipedia and Bundersarchiv).
Interestingly it's obviously cold as they are wearing longcoats, and they are also towing a PaK38 anti-tank gun. On to the build!



Driver's compartment with windshield in place.
Hood done, let's add some tracks. I went for the ready made version.
Starting to look like a proper vehicle now. What's the next step?
Detailing the hood, ok. Looks fiddly.
Yep, this is part A69, the fill cap for the radiator. It's actually pentagonal in shape, which I only noticed on this photo.
Ok, detailing done, starting to slightly loose my sanity...
Headlights and turn signals are slightly wonky, but the radiator cap looks spiffing!

I'm a bit confused about this kit... I mean, you get complete pre-made track assemblies on this and the PaK model, but not in the basic kit released by Caesar Miniatures. On the other hand you get stuff like the radiator cap that could just as easily been molded on the radiator! There is no design reason to have it as a separate piece, other than adding a piece to the number of pieces! The turn signals/mirrors on the sides could also have been done as one piece. And the instructions are vague at best, often the steps don't show exactly where a piece is going to fit and you have to sort of guess, based on pictures on the internet, studying the next step, or just guesstimating.

Anyway, I'm about half-way there so I should keep plodding on.


4 kommentarer:

  1. Thats the smallest part I have ever seen for a model kit Lief.

    Well done on keeping you sanity man!

    Looking very good.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Holy S%&#@! I don't think I've ever seen a piece that small. Good luck with the rest Leif, hang in there!
    FF

    SvaraRadera
  3. That radiator cap should have been eaten by the carpet monster - well done for saving it!

    SvaraRadera
  4. That is one small piece. Remind me to admire it when I see the model in the flesh

    SvaraRadera

Wayland games

Wayland Games