cookies-varning

torsdag 1 oktober 2015

Tanktober is here!

Well, it just happens to be October 1st, and it just happens that I have painted a tank. So Tanktober it is!

The tank in question partway painted, a Rubicon Panzer IV.
I was really surprised on how easy it was to get this one painted. I think the good details helped a lot. If you are interested you can read my full review of this kit here where I compare it with Warlord Games' Panzer IV kit. Basically, in the picture above all I have done is sprayed it Desert Yellow (with an Army Painter rattle can), washed it all over with my Future/Devlan Mud mix, painted the tracks and other metal parts gunmetal and the rubber tires dark grey. While nowhere near finished in my eyes it does look the part and could be used on the gaming table without anyone lifting an eyebrow.

Panel highlighting, chipping and decals done, time for pigments
I dipped a small piece of blister foam in the same dark grey I had used for the tires and after wiping off most of the paint I dabbed it onto all the edges of tank to create a chipping effect. To finish it off I highlighted all flat areas with Coat d'Arms Light Sand, mainly to cover up where the wash had pooled or where I overdid the chipping. I used decals from the sheet provided, but decided to go light on the markings and only use turret number on the back of the turret bin, and a DAK palm and German cross on each side of the hull. The exhaust got a coat of Coat d'Arms Rust and then it was time for pigments.

You can see the effect the pigments have on the decals. Also, on my painting table...
And the other side...
And the back.
The main effect of pigments is to make the tank appear dusty and tie the various colours and decals together, I used two tones of rust pigments from Forgeworld on the exhaust to vary the tone, and tried to replicate the colour being burnt off by the heat. I googled "rusty exhausts" to get inspiration. Just before taking these photos I realised I hadn't painted any of the wood parts like the shovel and tool handles. A quick coat of Khemri brown and Bob was my uncle.

I hope you like my little Panzer. I might add some stowage later since it looks a bit bare without it.

30 kommentarer:

  1. Great work! Your initial step,with the flat paint and future/devlan mud and a few basic details looked playable, and then you took it to the next level with the subsequent paint and pigment.

    How do you fix the pigment when you are done?

    And I have seen pictures where the various tools attached to the tank are painted in the same dunkel gelb as the rest of the tank.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I used MIG's pigment fixer, it's an alcohol-based (I think) fluid. You soak it up with a brush and touch the tip to the model and let capillary action draw the fluid onto it. It looks like the pigments disappear, but when the fixer has dried the pigments come back.

      And yes, the tools usually are painted the same colour as the tank, but that makes a very boring model.

      Radera
  2. Happy Tanktober Leif!

    Fantastic work, that weathering is REALLY great! Very easy to overdo it, but you haven't. I hope I can get similar results when I start my DAK force next year.

    Thanks too for joining in on my Tanktober competition on my blog!
    For anyone else who would like to join in, you are more than welcome:
    http://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2015/10/tanktober-begins.html

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks Paul! It was actually easier done than described.

      Radera
  3. Roll on Tanktober!

    Excellent work Leif.

    SvaraRadera
  4. This looks brilliant and thank you for the walk through on your techniques. The method you used for chipping looks much quicker than the hairspray method. Also it's good to know which pigments you used as I'm going to order some this weekend.

    Happy Tanktober!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I use pigments from Vallejo, MIG, Tamiya and Forgeworld. If I see a colour of pigment I like I use it. Good pigments to have are burnt umber and black for soot and burnt stuff, and some rust coloured ones. Sand for well, sand.

      In this case I just happened to use MIG and Forgeworld.

      Radera
  5. Looks great!

    Did you seal the model after using the pigments?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I used pigment fixer to seal the pigments. I will spray it with varnish as well to protect the paint job, but I hadn't time to do it before taking the pictures.

      Radera
  6. Looks great!

    Did you seal the model after using the pigments?

    SvaraRadera
  7. Stunning results, honestly.
    Very nice work

    SvaraRadera
  8. Great job, these pigments look fantastic!

    SvaraRadera
  9. Great work. Just getting into bolt action and am planning on ordering the new rubicon crusader for my dessert rat, this evening so a great timed post.

    SvaraRadera
  10. Great work. Just getting into bolt action and am planning on ordering the new rubicon crusader for my dessert rat, this evening so a great timed post.

    SvaraRadera
  11. Very, very nice ;-) I'll steal your technique for my Pz IVs!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Steal away! It's not like I invented any of the techniques myself!

      Radera
  12. Nice work, some great inspiration for when I get around to doing my own DAK force!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you. I'm glad to be an inspiration.

      Radera
    2. Thank you. I'm glad to be an inspiration.

      Radera
  13. Snyggt! Looking awesome.

    SvaraRadera
  14. Very effective results for minimum painting time. Rubicon looks a very good model.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks. It has some issues, but overall it's a nice kit.

      Radera

Wayland games

Wayland Games